Indira Ekadashi – The Ancestors Path to Moksha
Indira Ekadashi is the Ekadashi that’s noticed on the eleventh day of Krishna Paksha within the Hindu month of Ashwin. This Ekadashi has particular relevance as it’s noticed throughout Pitru Paksha. Therefore, Indira Ekadashi Vrat is believed to offer salvation after loss of life. For that reason, worshipers quick on this present day in homage to their ancestors. The Indira Ekadashi vrat is thus thought-about to be the holiest and most sacred of all fasts.
Throughout Indira Ekadashi, devotees revere Lord Indra by observing a quick. Doing so, it’s believed that one is absolved of all their struggling and sins. These observing the Ekadashi quick should start their quick from the tenth day (Dashami). It’s believed that by following all of the rituals of Indira Ekadashi steadfastly the devotees achieve the blessings which can be equal to these obtained by conducting the Rajasuya Yagna.
Indira Ekadashi is also called Ekadashi Shraddha because it falls throughout Pitru Paksha, the fortnight of the ancestors and subsequently this Ekadashi quick seeks salvation for the devotees’ forefathers and deceased ancestors in addition to to hunt redemption from previous sins and incorrect deeds by the grace of Lord Vishnu. Subsequently, Lord Vishnu can be worshipped throughout Indira Ekadashi with Vishnu Puja carried out by the observers. Indira Ekadashi follows Parsva Ekadashi and is preceded by Papankusha Ekadashi.
When is Indira Ekadashi in 2022?
In 2022, Indira Ekadashi shall be noticed on Wednesday, 21 September 2022.
Auspicious timings for Indira Ekadashi 2022
- Dawn – 6:19 AM on September 21, 2022
- Sundown – 6:21 PM on September 21, 2022
- Ekadashi Tithi Begins – 9:26 PM on September 20, 2022
- Ekadashi Tithi Concludes – 11:35 PM on September 21, 2022
- Dwadashi Finish Timing – 1:18 AM on September 23, 2022
- Hari Vasara Finish Timing – 6:00 AM on September 22, 2022
- Parana Time – 6:19 AM to eight:43 AM on September 22, 2022
Indira Ekadashi Rituals
Devotees observe the Indira Ekadashi Vrat from the eve of Indira Ekadashi, i.e., from Dashami. The quick lasts 24 hours, starting with the dawn of Ekadashi and ending with the sundown of Dwadashi.
Whereas most devotees observe a strict quick throughout this time, some observe a partial quick by consuming one meal earlier than dawn. The quick is concluded after providing prayers to Lord Vishnu and providing meals to the Brahmins. Some followers might devour solely dairy merchandise and fruits in the course of the quick.
Ranging from Dashami, devotees recite mantras and sing hymns praising the greatness and style of Lord Vishnu. Reciting the Vishnu Sahasranama can be thought-about to be extremely auspicious throughout Ekadashi day.
On Ekadashi day, devotees should ideally brush their tooth with conventional Datun, but when that’s not obtainable, the mouth ought to be cleaned with lemon, Jamun berries, or mango leaves. It ought to be famous that plucking leaves from bushes is forbidden on Ekadashi day and subsequently the leaves which have fallen from bushes ought to be used to wash the mouth.
It’s thought-about extremely auspicious to wash in holy rivers and ponds on this present day; nevertheless, if such locations aren’t accessible, then the devotees can bathe at dwelling.
Devotees should recite the Bhagawad Geeta on Ekadashi day. They have to additionally observe a Jagran on the evening of Ekadashi.
Whereas providing bhog to the Lord devotees should guarantee to position a Tulsi leaf on the meals.
Observers might devour solely fruits and nuts in the course of the Indira Ekadashi quick. They might additionally devour seasonal fruits like banana, mango, almond, pistachio, and many others.
On Dwadashi day, the devotees should guarantee to supply meals, sweets, and Dakshina to the Brahmins earlier than concluding the quick.
Puja Vidhi and Vrat Vidhi for Indira Ekadashi
- On Ekadashi day, devotees should rise early earlier than dawn, have their bathtub, and placed on clear garments. After bathtub they have to meditate on the Shaligram type of Lord Vishnu and take a vow to watch a strict and full Indira Ekadashi quick.
- Draw a swastika type with Kumkum on the material and provide rice and flowers. Whereas doing so, the observer should chant “Om Ganeshaya Namah” and provide reverence to Lord Ganesha.
- Set up the Shaligram or an image or idol of Lord Vishnu in puja space and carry out puja to Lord Vishnu by providing Gangajal abhisheka on the idol or image of Lord Vishnu. Choices of kumkum, sandalwood, incense, sweets, Akshat, and many others. are then supplied to the Lord.
- The devotee should then learn the Vishnu Sahasranama and carry out aarti.
- They have to provide Shraddha for his or her deceased ancestors and donate meals to the Brahmins after performing the Shraddha
- Within the night, after lighting a lamp in entrance of the Tulsi plant, the devotees should both learn or hearken to the story of Indira Ekadashi Vrat.
- The devotees should observe a Jagran and spend the evening singing hymns and chanting mantras praising the grace of Lord Vishnu.
- On Dwadashi day, after having bathtub and providing prayers and aarti to Lord Vishnu, the devotees should conclude they quick by consuming fruits.
Performing the above puja rituals and worshipping Lord Vishnu dedicatedly bestows the devotee with happiness in addition to assist their ancestors attain moksha or salvation.
What to keep away from throughout Indira Ekadashi
- Devotees should keep away from all Tamasik meals on Ekadashi.
- Keep away from indulgences of every kind on Ekadashi day.
- The observer should observe celibacy throughout Ekadashi quick.
- Sweeping the home on Ekadashi day is prohibited.
- One should keep away from shaving and hair chopping actions on Ekadashi.
- The observer should keep away from talking and keep silence throughout Ekadashi vrat.
- Sustaining minimal speech and being respectful and well mannered is important whereas observing the Ekadashi quick. The observer should be truthful, well mannered, sincere and keep peace and calm whereas observing the quick.
Indira Ekadashi Vrat Katha
The Mahabharata cites the story behind Indira Ekadashi. In line with the Mahabharata, as soon as Yudhishthira requested Lord Krishna concerning the Krishna Paksha Ekadashi throughout Ashwin month and what was it named. He additional sought the reason relating to the advantages of fasting on this present day and the story behind Indira Ekadashi. Therefore Lord Krishna explains the story and significance of Indira Ekadashi to Yudhishthira which is as follows.
In line with the legend, in the course of the Satyuga interval, there lived an impressive king named Indrasen who dominated the traditional metropolis of Mahishmati. He was a deeply non secular man and an ardent devotee of Lord Vishnu. He took diligent care of his topics and everybody in his kingdom lived fortunately with out dealing with any troubles. The dominion was blessed with happiness and wealth underneath his reign.
Someday as King Indrasen presided over his meeting, Sage Narada appeared in his court docket. The king supplied him a spot within the meeting and handled him with nice regard. He then enquired concerning the purpose for Sage Narada’s go to.
Sage Narada knowledgeable the king that whereas his kingdom loved happiness, Indrasen’s father was struggling in Yamalok due to his dangerous deeds throughout his earlier life. King Indrasen’s father requested Sage Narada to cross the message to his son. He wished king Indrasen to watch the Indira Ekadashi quick strictly as per the ritual in the course of the Krishna Paksha part of Ashwini month so as to free him from Yamalok and search a spot in heaven.
Listening to this, King Indrasen sought the recommendation of Sage Narada concerning the Indira Ekadashi quick and the tactic and rituals to be adopted throughout Indira Ekadashi which might assist to atone his father’s sins.
Sage Narada defined the rituals to King Indrasen. He suggested that he should observe the Indira Ekadashi quick with full dedication from Dashami Tithi and keep away from all types of indulgences and Tamasik meals and worship Lord Vishnu with absolute devotion. On Ekadashi day, after taking a dip within the holy waters, the observer should worship the ancestors with devotion and observe all rituals of the quick dedicatedly.
After studying concerning the fasting methodology from Sage Narada, King Indrasen noticed the Indira Ekadashi quick ardently alongside along with his relations. Because of the optimistic consequence of his quick, King Indrasen’s father obtained a spot in heaven. King Indrasen, too, gained the optimistic consequence from his quick as he reigned over his kingdom peacefully and finally gained a spot in heaven for himself.
Significance of Indira Ekadashi Vrat
The importance of Indira Ekadashi is talked about within the ‘Brahmavaivarta Purana’ throughout a dialog between Yudhishthira and Lord Krishna throughout which Lord Krishna defined the importance of the Indira Ekadashi quick. The Indira Ekadashi quick is supposed to cleanse one’s soul of all sins. It is usually related to salvation of the ancestors and acquiring peace for his or her souls. Lord Vishnu liberates all these observing the quick with full devotion. The quick purges all sins and bestows Raja Sukha or absolute pleasure and luck of their lives.
Moreover, studying Vishnu Sahasranama, together with fasting rituals and worshipping the Lord, is extraordinarily vital which helps in bringing about peace in all three worlds. The Hindu scriptures additional describe that by observing the Indira Ekadashi quick, one yields the identical advantages equal to performing the ‘Ashvamedha Yagya.’ This emphasises the importance of this Ekadashi quick over others.
Indira Ekadashi pageant dates between 2022 & 2027
|2022||Wednesday||21 September 2022|
|2023||Tuesday||10 October 2023|
|2024||Saturday||28 September 2024|
|2025||Wednesday||17 September 2025|
|2026||Tuesday||6 October 2026|
|2027||Sunday||26 September 2027|